In order to be admissible, you must have a Dutch pre-university school diploma (VWO) or an equivalent qualification. You need to have a diploma with ‘Mathematics A’ or ‘Mathematics B’ (see info on our maths requirement), or an equivalent thereof, and also need proof of proficiency in English.
Whether or not you will actually be offered a place in our programme will depend on your:
- grade point average (GPA)
- motivation and suitability to study an intensive programme like our PPE programme;
- commitment to contribute to the College’s international student and campus life
The latter two will be determined based on your CV and your answer to our assessment questions, and possibly an additional interview (over Skype in case of international applicants). For more info on the GPA that we seek, see below.
The selection committee evaluates your application dossier as a whole, considering all these factors. If in doubt whether you fit our admission profile, you can always contact our Dutch or international student advisor (see our contact page).
Grade point average (GPA)
The PPE programme falls within VU Amsterdam’s excellence programme and has been awarded the “Distinctive feature of small-scale and intensive education” by the the Dutch-Flemish Accreditation Council (NVAO). Consequently, admission to our PPE programme will be selective. We are looking for students with the following grade point average:
- Dutch VWO: ≥ 7.0
- German Abitur: ≥10 or at least 2,0
- France: Diplôme du Baccalauréat Général ≥12
- USA: ≥B+ incl. 4 AP certificates with grade 3 in Calculus and Statistics grade 3 or one to two years of College
- IB: average of ≥5, or ≥ 31 points (including math SL or HL)*
- UK: GPA B (or B grades plus at most one C), incl. math A-level with a minimum grade D
We take into account your GPA over the two final years of your secondary education. In addition, prospective students’ prior performance in single courses foundational / directly related to PPE may also be considered a relevant factor by the Admission Board.
* For IB applicants: when you apply, kindly include official Predicted Grades from your school and ensure that the levels of all subjects, including language subjects, are clearly stated (HL, SL, A or B).