Vacancy: 4 PhD Candidates-Lecturers in PPE
— THE DEADLINE FOR APPLYING FOR THIS POSITION HAS PASSED—
The J.S. Mill College, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam seeks:
4 PhD candidates-lecturers in PPE
Beginning in September 2016, VU Amsterdam will offer an international bachelor programme in Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE). The J.S. Mill College, with its own venue on the VU Amsterdam campus, will form its social and intellectual community. The PPE programme (www.vu-ppe.nl) is a joint initiative of three faculties of VU Amsterdam: the Faculty of Humanities, the Faculty of Social Sciences, and the Faculty of Economics and Business Administration. The PPE programme seeks candidates for four fully funded PhD positions with full employment benefits. As one of the four PhD candidates-lecturers PPE you will teach courses within the college, play an active role in the PPE-community, and conduct research that results in a PhD dissertation. The gross yearly salary starts at €30.500,- in the first year and increases to its maximum of €38.772,- in year four of the appointment (based on 1.0 fte appointment).
Vacancy number: 16041
The position involves 50% teaching and 50% research time.
In the role of lecturer candidates will support senior teaching staff by leading small group seminars and assessing student essays and projects for PPE courses. Candidates will also have a role as student tutors. Successful candidates will demonstrate an ability to play an active role in the J.S. Mill college’s social and intellectual life, as well as an aptitude for student supervision.
In the role of researcher, applicants will complete a PhD dissertation on a topic that falls within the interdisciplinary scope of PPE. Candidates select their own topic that intersects with at least two of the three PPE disciplines and subsequently work on a research project on this topic that they develop themselves. They will have a primary supervisor from one of the three PPE disciplines and will be primarily affiliated with that discipline, however they will also work closely with a secondary supervisor who is a senior researchers from at least one other PPE discipline.
- A completed (research) master degree in one of the three PPE disciplines, or a related discipline,
- Excellent research and writing skills,
- Excellent command of the English language,
- The ability to work in a team as well as independently,
- The ability to work in an interdisciplinary and multicultural environment, and
- A willingness to actively contribute to the community life of the J.S. Mill College.
What we offer
We offer an exciting opportunity to contribute to an ambitious and new bachelor programme and to conduct your own research project, at a renowned research university. You will receive appropriate training, personal supervision, and guidance for both your research and teaching tasks, providing an excellent start to an academic career.
Further particulars and salary
Successful applicants can be appointed for either 1.0 fte for 5 years, or for 0.8 fte for 6 years. The starting date is negotiable, but must be no later than 1 August 2016. The salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel, ranging from a minimum of €2.173,- gross per month in the first year, building up to a maximum of €2.778,- in year four to six based on full-time employment.
You can find information about our excellent benefits package at http://www.workingatvu.nl, including:
- Remuneration of 8.3% end-of-year bonus and 8% holiday allowance,
- A generous contribution (70%) to commuting allowance based on public transport,
- Discounts on collective insurances (healthcare- and car insurance), and
- A wide range of sports facilities that staff may use at a modest charge.
For additional information please consult our website (www.vu-ppe.nl) or contact:
Prof. Martin van Hees
Dean J.S. Mill College
Dr. Ilse Oosterlaken
Coordinator PPE programme
To apply for this position please send in the following:
- A letter of motivation (mention the vacancy number)
- Your CV
- A proposal for a PhD research project (max. 2.000 words, including references). Your proposal should fit the PPE profile and should include a description of :
o the research problem, including a brief discussion of the relevant literature;
o the methodological approach
Please also briefly indicate which of the academic staff of the J.S. Mill College have, according to you, the right kind of expertise to supervise the proposed project and why.
- A teaching statement (max. 300 words). Please briefly indicate which of our first year PPE courses fall in your area of specialization/ competence. If you do not have teaching experience, please indicate why you are interested in teaching and how your existing skills are transferrable to a teaching environment.
- One letter of recommendation.
Please make one pdf file of your application documents (excluding the letter of recommendation), with the documents in the order as indicated above. Send your application to email@example.com on Sunday 13 March 2016 at the latest (mention the vacancy number in the subject). The person writing a letter of recommendation for you can send it to the same address.
Interviews for the position will be held on Thursday 31 March and Monday 4 April 2016. If you do not live in the Netherlands, the interview can be held via Skype.